Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A visit from the vet

A few weeks ago we were very blessed to have a visit from a veterinarian from Otjiwarango (about 10 hrs away). We spent about 10 ½ hours out in the barnyard assisting him with his various tasks: getting blood samples, extracting teeth from horses, giving injections, minor surgery and whatnot. He was very willing to give our staff a crash course in how to handle many common situations we’ve been facing. He even allowed some of our children who aspire to be doctors or vets help him. He also set up a makeshift lab in one of the horse stalls and gave us all a lesson. He was extremely knowledgeable and it was quite a privilege to have him here with us.
I’m also constantly learning new things in the barnyard… add this to the list of things I never thought I’d learn in my lifetime: how to drain an abscess on a goat or how to test horse stool for parasites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

priceless skills. teach me too!

it's good to hear from you. i love you and miss you. give my baby boy a big hug for me.

Sara said...

Hey, is that you way in the back of that one picture with the vet? How are you learning anything from way back there? ;)