Sunday, November 16, 2008

One of the good days



The past few weeks have been filled with a lot of new experiences. After 31 years of eluding cupid’s arrow, I’ve been struck hard. I used to be one of those level-headed, grounded kinds of girls and in a short span I’ve become one of those ridiculous twitterpatted girls I’ve always despised. I suppose that’s what falling in love is really all about.
Our relationship has been forming slowly over time. We’ve been friends nearly the entire time I’ve been here and yet I never saw this coming. Without my dear friend Tina’s honest advice, I may have never given him a chance. I had a gradual shift in my perspective, but being the rational over-thinker I am I was terrified to make that leap from friend to something more. I timidly stuck my toe in the water, found it quite refreshing and jumped in whole-heartedly. The more I have gotten to know him, the more I am surprised to find out who he really is and what a blessing he is to me.

I’ve found acceptance… into his life, into a village, into a family. Drastically different from my own not only in skin tone, but in culture, and yet it’s oddly begun to feel like home. “Peoples is peoples.” I’ve come to realize people are the same quirky creations of God everywhere and that is so comforting. To these people I have become sister, niece, cousin, auntie in the blink of an eye with all the rights and privileges there entailed.

Only God knows what the future holds but I can tell you this… I am one blessed girl to have this man in my life and I look forward with eager anticipation to how this story plays out.

5 comments:

Pastor Linda said...

Relationships are scary and risky sometimes but a good one is worth it all.

Unknown said...

YEAH JESS!!! I'm so happy for you:) Keep smiling and soaking it up.

Handsome Pete said...

Congrats Jess! That sounds so exciting on a number of levels. Have a happy thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Jess, I am praying for you and think of you often. Keep us updated if you can find the time. I love to hear what is happening.

Anonymous said...

Perfect love casts out all fear here you two are!! Mom